1 out of every 3 Americans have high blood pressure (hypertension), an estimated 68 million . It greatly increases the risk for heart disease and stroke, the first and third leading causes of death in the United States. In 2010, high blood pressure was projected to cost the United States $93.5 billion in health care services, medications, and missed days of work. High blood pressure is known as the “silent killer” because it rarely has signs and symptoms and by the time they show up the person almost always has developed heart disease. My advice to you is to get your blood pressure checked regularly and if you have it you can follow these 10 ways to lower your blood pressure.
- Eat Chocolate! Dark chocolate is high in flavonoids that will help lower blood pressure by making blood vessels more elastic. Have ½ ounce daily make sure it’s at least 70% cocoa.
- Drink Tea. Studies have been done to show that drinking 3 cups hibiscus tea daily lowers blood pressure.
- Exercise will help your heart utilize oxygen more efficiently putting less strain on your cardiovascular system. 30 minutes of aerobic activity daily is suggested. You can do 2/15 minute sessions or 3/10 minute sessions, whatever works for you as long as you get in at least 30 minutes.
- Get 4,700 mg of potassium daily. Banana’s, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, spinach, artichoke, beets, salmon, tuna and almonds are high in potassium.
- Take supplements. Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA) is a type of omega 3 fatty acid only found in plant sources such as flax and walnuts. Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) and Elcosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) are similar to ALA except they come from animal sources instead of plants. You can find them in fatty fish like salmon or take fish oil suppliments such as cod liver oil. Co-enzyme Q10 (CoQ10) has been found to reduce systolic and diastolic pressure. Although it naturally occurs in the body supplementation has been found to lower blood pressure.
- Eat 1500 mg sodium. 2300 mg of sodium which about a teaspoon is what is suggested if you are not obese, African American, over 50 or have cardiovascular health issues. If you are any of the aforementioned 1,500 mg will help you to lower your blood pressure and improve your health.
- Relax with music and deep breathing. It is no secret that stress can elevate your blood pressure. A few simple techniques like deep breathing exercises and listening to relaxing music will help relax your mind and body thus help lower your blood pressure.
- Get rid of the extra pounds: If you are overweight this puts massive stress on your heart to have to work harder to pump blood through your body. Make it a priority to shed those unhealthy pounds like your life depends on it because it does. To get started make sure you sign up for my free weight loss ecourse!
- Reduce caffeine intake. Many have debated about the affects of caffeine on blood pressure some studies have shown there to be no effects while others have. Some people are naturally sensitive to caffeine and so it has a greater affect on there blood pressure. Anyone who ingest large amounts of caffeine over 500 mg (avg. 3 8 oz of cups) a day can be greatly affected. This was the results from a study done by Duke University Medical Center that showed people’s blood pressure elevated by as much as 4 mmhg after 3 cups of coffee and stayed elevated until the evening.
- Stop snoring! Not only for the sake of your marriage, but for also for the sake of your health get help for snoring! Loud snoring is one of the main symptoms of OSA, obstructive sleep apnea. University of Alabama researchers found that many sleep apnea sufferers also had high levels of aldosterone , a hormone that can blood pressure. It is estimated that half of all people with sleep apnea have high blood pressure.
Your R.I.L Assignment!
If you have not gotten your blood pressure checked do so. If it’s elevated at or above 140/90 start off by utilizing 3 of the keys and add on one each week! I will have some more keys in following blog post! Hypertension is very dangerous and the longer one has it more dangers it causes to the body. so make sure you or your loved on is prioritizing their health! Love ya
If you are ready to Reign in Health and Fitness, lower your blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar and get rid of those excess pounds find out the 10 keys that I utilized to lose over 80 pounds and keep it off because not yesterday, not tomorrow but right NOW is YOUR time to Reign in Health and Fitness! Click Here to find out more
Shelita Williams, R.N. helps aspiring and established women entrepreneurs who struggle with achieving their health and fitness goals, to lose weight, increase energy, boost confidence and establish brand integrity so that they are poised, fit and motivated to start, manage and grow their business! Sign up for your free eCourse and Reign in Health and Fitness updates![/content_box_red]