Avocado is a fruit originating from Mexico also known as alligator pear for it’s shape and skin texture. Apart from being a healthy monounsaturated fat which your body readily uses for energy, avocado’s have many health benefits such as:
- Lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol and helps elevate HDL (good) cholesterol by a compound called beta-sitosterol.
- Anti-Inflammatory properties because of the high phytonutrient compound such as polyphenols and flavonoids.
- Regulates blood sugar levels by reversing insulin resistence because of high fiber content.
- Improves cardiovascular health. The vitamin B6 and folic acid in avocados help regulate homocysteine levels which are associated with an increased risk of heart disease.
- Controls blood pressure because of high potassium content.
- Anti-aging because of the high antioxidants.
- Increases the absorption of nutrients. A study suggests that, when participants ate salad included avocados, they absorbed five times the amount of carotenoids (a group of nutrients that includes beta carotene and lycopene) than those who did not include avocados.
These are just a few of the health benefits of avocados. I actually was sharing because I normally eat them in salads, smoothies, or on a sandwich and I wanted to experiment with some different ways to use them such as with a dessert! Last night I did just that and wanted to share with you what I came up with. Okay first being a lover of all things chocolate I made a
Raw Avocado Chocolate Mousse
1 ripe avocado
3 tbsp. of raw chocolate powder
¼ cup of raw almond milk
2 packets of Stevia
2 tbsp. of raw honey or agave nectar (you can use all Stevia if you want, I wanted to add some flavor)
1 tsp. of vanilla flavor
Top w your favorite raw nuts finely chopped, I used hemp seeds.
Put all ingredients in a blender and enjoy! I sued my Vita mixer which I wished I had a nutribullet or something smaller because I was trying to get all of that mousse out it was soooo good!
Okay and then I made an
Avocado Ice Cream topped Raw Chocolate Sauce and Hemp Seeds!
1 ripe avocado
1 can of coconut milk (or whatever milk you like)
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. sea salt
¼ cup almond milk
1-2 tbsp. lemon juice (prevents browning)
Sweeten with Stevia (I used 6 packets) you can use 5 dates, or agave or maple syrup.
Put all ingredients in blender, transfer to your ice maker if you have one it’s not necessary or put in container and freeze. To make the raw chocolate sauce I just melted about a tsp. coconut oil, mixed it with 1 tbsp. of raw chocolate powder, and 1 packet of Stevia. Drizzle over frozen ice cream, (it will harden) and top with hemp seeds.
I hope you give them a try, I’m sure you will like them. Tell how do you currently use avocado it at all?
If you are ready to Reign in Health and Fitness, lower your blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar and get rid of those excess pounds find out the 10 keys that I utilized to lose over 80 pounds and keep it off because not yesterday, not tomorrow but right NOW is YOUR time to Reign in Health and Fitness! Click Here to find out more
Shelita Williams, Registered Nurse, Certified Fitness Trainer, helps aspiring and established women entrepreneurs who struggle with achieving their health and fitness goals, to lose weight, increase energy, boost confidence and establish brand integrity so that they are poised, fit and motivated to start, manage and grow their business! Sign up for your free eCourse and Reign in Health and Fitness updates![/content_box_red]