Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. There are over 100 different types of arthritis but osteoarthritis is the most common. Over 21 million people are affected with this disease. Even though it’s most common in women over age 60 men and younger adults are no stranger to it.
What I find as an R.N. is that prevention is almost never talked about it. Even in the medical profession it seems they just expect as you age that you will get this painful disease and off you go with anti-inflammatory medications and surgery as your only viable options.
Osteoarthritis also known as degenerative joint disease is associated with a breakdown of cartilage in joints and can occur in almost any joint in the body. Most commonly occurs in the weight bearing joints of the hips, knees and spine. So who is most susceptible to developing Osteoarthritis or OA?
- People who are overweight.
- People who perform high intensity workouts or activities putting continued stress on the joints such as athletes.
- People who have some type of genetic defect.
- People who have poor diets and nutritional habits.
When you go to the doctor most times they prescribe you anti-inflammatory medications along with physical therapy. While physical therapy is good, understand that there is no cure for OA, and that the very best treatment is to get healthier!
7 Things you can do to promote better health and reduce or eliminate Arthritic pain!
- Exercise. Your joints maybe very stiff and it may seem counterintuitive to exercise but that’s exactly what you need to do loosen up your joints and stretch your muscles. In the long run this will reduce your pain. (always consult your physician)
- Hydrate your body. Water, yes I said water, not pop, tea or coffee. Water hydrates, protects and moisturizes your joints.
- Detox your body. If you body is toxic, those toxins are in your joints and toxins cause inflammation.
- Walk in forgiveness. Unforgiveness is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. Unforgiveness poisons the heart, the mind and the body. It’s not worth your health let it go!
- Eat more raw fruits and vegetables. Putting more live foods into your body reduces the acidity of your body. Our bodies are naturally alkaline and when we eat dead foods because the enzymes that been cooked out of them they actually become acidic. Disease thrives in an acidic environment.
- Reduce the amount of saturated fats. Foods high in saturated fats produce plaque in the body which gets trapped in the blood vessels and joints. This causes heart disease and joint pain.
- Take natural supplements. Let prescription medication be a last resort as they cause more toxins and don’t treat the problem only the symptoms. There a many natural supplements that you can take including Glucosamine and Chondroitin.
No matter what the ailment, disease or health condition is, we can’t get away from the fact that eating a healthy well balanced diet is the main ingredient in promoting better health. Take some time out to read food labels, plan your meals and get a good workout in! My goal for you is to Reign in Health and Fitness, so please feel free to ask me any questions in the comment sections below.
If you are ready to Reign in Health and Fitness, lower your blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar and get rid of those excess pounds find out the 10 keys that I utilized to lose over 80 pounds and keep it off because not yesterday, not tomorrow but right NOW is YOUR time to Reign in Health and Fitness! Click Here to find out more
Shelita Williams, R.N. helps aspiring and established women entrepreneurs who struggle with achieving their health and fitness goals, to lose weight, increase energy, boost confidence and establish brand integrity so that they are poised, fit and motivated to start, manage and grow their business! Sign up for your free eCourse and Reign in Health and Fitness updates![/content_box_red]